Requesting information held about you

If you want to request information about your personal data, you will need to make a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act 2018

Data subject rights

As an individual you have the right to:

  • request access to your personal data (a ‘subject access request’),
  • request a correction of your personal data whereby the data we hold is incomplete or inaccurate,
  • request a deletion of your personal data whereby NHS Property Services unlawfully
  • object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground as you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms,
  • request restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios:
    • if you want us to establish the data’s accuracy,
    • where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it, 
    • where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims, or 
    • you have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
  • request a transfer of your personal data to you or to a third party. We will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format.

You also have the right to withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal data.

How to make a request

The Information Commissioner’s Office publishes advice on how to make an information request.

Making a request

If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact the Data Protection Officer.

Make a request

Normally, there will be no fee attached to a Subject Access Request, however we have the right to request a reasonable fee if the request is manifestly unfounded or excessive. We may also assist in narrowing or clarifying the request to make it more reasonable.

After you've made a request

We will respond to your subject access request within one calendar month of the date of receipt.